Applying for a Vaccination Area
For pharmacies where an existing area (such as a consultation room) is to be used for administering the vaccination service, the Authority requires Form PV “Application for Approval of a Vaccination Area in a Pharmacy Business Premises” to be submitted. Vaccination areas may be approved on an ongoing basis or on a temporary basis. For approval on an ongoing basis, the use of a properly constructed consultation room is required.
Vaccinations can only be carried out by an Authorised Immuniser, approved by the Department of Health.
A Permanent Vaccination Area MUST have the following:
If your pharmacy premises requires structural alterations to enable a room to be used for vaccinations, please complete Form PA “Application for Approval of Alterations to Pharmacy Premises” instead and read the section Applying for Alterations to a Pharmacy.
- Privacy for the patient in terms of sound and visibility
- Access for disabled persons
- A sharps disposal bin
- Medical waste bin
- Hand washing or hand sanitation facilities
- Access to a fridge which is monitored twice daily in accordance with the Strive for 5 requirements
- Room for a client to lie down and have first aid/CPR administered
- Sufficient room for all necessary equipment and records
- Seating nearby, visible from the dispensary, to observe clients after vaccinations
- Security and privacy of any/all client records either stored there or as relevant for the day’s bookings
- An up to date anaphylaxis kit