Applying for a Vaccination Area
For pharmacies where an existing area (such as a consultation room) is to be used for administering the vaccination service, the Authority requires Form PV “Application for Approval of a Vaccination Area in a Pharmacy Business Premises” to be submitted. Vaccination areas may be approved on an ongoing basis or on a temporary basis. For approval on an ongoing basis, the use of a properly constructed consultation room is required.
Vaccinations can only be carried out by an Authorised Immuniser, approved by the Department of Health.
A Permanent Vaccination Area MUST have the following:
- Privacy for the patient in terms of sound and visibility
- Access for disabled persons
- A sharps disposal bin
- Medical waste bin
- Hand washing or hand sanitation facilities
- Access to a fridge which is monitored twice daily in accordance with the Strive for 5 requirements
- Room for a client to lie down and have first aid/CPR administered
- Sufficient room for all necessary equipment and records
- Seating nearby, visible from the dispensary, to observe clients after vaccinations
- Security and privacy of any/all client records either stored there or as relevant for the day’s bookings
- An up to date anaphylaxis kit
To have application for a Vaccination Area approved, the procedure is:
1. Submit Form PV “Application for Approval for a Vaccination Area”;
2. Authority will issue you with an invoice for the applicable fee;
3. Application will be heard at an Authority Meeting (held on the first Wednesday of the month with submissions closing 7 days prior. Late applications will be held over to the following month);
4. The Authority will issue an approval for the area either on a permanent or temporary basis. This may constitute some conditions for approval which you will need to advise and/or undertake for the approval to be enforced;
What do I need to submit with my Vaccinations Application?
- All sections of the form are completed, including those not applicable to you. In this case, mark the section N/A
- Acknowledgement of your knowledge of the Department of Health’s Authorised Immuniser Program
- Enclose a floor layout plan of the premises, preferably professionally drawn and to scale, showing:
- Location, dimensions and area of dispensary. Please clearly mark the boundary of the dispensary on the plans.
- Location and dimensions of the vaccination area
- Location of seating for clients after vaccinations
- Location of fridge which will store the vaccination products
- Location(s) and dimension(s) of any other rooms or areas, eg: counselling, storage, office, staffroom, beauty treatment room, ear-piercing room, pregnancy testing room, toilets;
- Location of doors and windows.